Chapter VII – Yoast SEO
Written by Michał Krawczyk ,
- This lesson is all about the Yoast SEO. Although it won't describe all of this plugin options, it will teach you the most important ones. Just after this lesson, you will be able to improve your positioning potential. Let's begin.
- Firstly, you have to install the plugin. Therefore, click
Pluginsand type "Yoast SEO" in
- Find the card with Yoast SEO and click
Install now, then
- Most of the tutorials dedicated for Yoast SEO skip the important part of the configuration. They take it for granted, that users already have done that, sometimes even without mentioning it. Here, I will present you this process.
- Click on the
SEObutton in the Sidenav. Then in
Generaltab click on the
Open the configuration wizard. You should be welcomed by the Yoast configuration screen.
- The First step is just quick info about the configuration and newsletter signup. Fill the form or press
- In the next step, you are asked about the environment - meaning - whether you will use your website as a typical site, or it is a kind of website where you're testing things.
- Next step is to define, what is the purpose of your website. Blog, News, Webshop, etc.
- Now select whether this is a company or personal website - it is important for Google Knowledge Graph. It is a card displayed on the right side of the Google's Search Result. If you're want to know more about that, click here.
- Now fill the social media addresses.
- In this step, you're asked about the visibility of posts, pages, and media to Google. If you decided to make your content visible, Google will index them in its search engine.
- 7th step is about the multiple authors.
- Next step is important if you use the Google Search Console. Here you'll fetch the GSC information.
- Now you have to specify your Website Name and Title Separator. This is how the break between the Website name and Post title will be filled.
- Great. You've almost finished the configuration process. Click
Closeto go back to the dashboard.
- Go to
Postsand click on one of them.
- Scroll the page and find
Yoast SEOcard. You can see the
Content optimizationtab with the Snippet editor. Positioning is not about your homepage only. It is extremely important to remember, that every single post should contain the properly edited Snippet. What is it? Snippet is the piece of text, which contains Title, Slug, and Meta description. I'm quite sure, that you know how Google search results look like. You are editing a single search result for your website right now!
- You may wonder how many marks you are allowed to use in the title and the meta description. The truth is - there is no clear answer - it depends. For the title, it might be 40, 66 or 60, etc. Meta Description is more precise - a proper number is somewhere between 120 and 156 characters. Nevertheless, you don't have to be concern about it too much, because if the progress bar (below the title and the meta description) is green - everything is correct.
- I've already mentioned what the
Slugis in one of the previous lessons (Categories).
Focus keywordis a single word or a phrase which will be used to find your post. If someone searches for the keyword you've set, the link to this particular post page will be displayed in the search results. Of course, you have to remember, that if you use a popular keyword, it will take a long time until your positioning will be high ranked. Therefore, in the beginning, it is recommended to use long tail keywords.
- Bellow the
Focus keywordyou will find
Analysis. Yoast SEO is giving you hints and comments in real time. Basically, your goal is to get all of the dots green. However do not try too hard, because in some situations it's a waste of time. For example - if you're importing the content from the file, you'll not add anything in the post area (obviously). In a result, Yoast SEO will inform you, that your text contains 0 words, so red dot will not change.
- Now let's skip to the next card. Click the Social Icon
- We will edit Facebook and Twitter Metadata. In the images below you can see the preview of the cards which will appear if you insert the link to the particular post in the Facebook and Twitter.