Written by Michał Krawczyk ,
- A sidebar is a place on the website, where you can put a lot of useful widgets. Calendar, Archives, Recent Posts, and more (I truly recommend you to have some fun and try different widgets in different configurations - page customization is the best way to learn how to create a great website in WordPress). But first thing first - firstly you have to set it in the Customizer.
- Click on
- Then go to the
Theme settingsand scroll the page until you find
- Collapse the bar and choose either
Margins with Sidebaror
Full Page with Sidebar. Compare the differences between those two, and choose the one you prefer.
Save and Publish.
- To add Wigdets to your Sidebar, go back to the
Customizer(click left arrow under the "X" in the top left corner of the website).
- Now navigate to the
- This location contains all of the available widgets. Browse all of them, but remember that not every single one is compatible with the Sidebar. For example, it is impossible to insert there any of MDW Intro widgets. Nevertheless, widgets like WP Widget Archives, WP Widget Search, etc. will work perfectly.
Make sure that you've chosen the layout with the Sidebar. Otherwise, it will not be visible. It is a very common mistake, so check it twice.
You can set the Sidebar layout in the
MDW configarea as well. Go to
MDW Config/Generaland find the
Layout type, then choose the
Full page with sidebaror
Margins with a sidebar.
- It is possible, to use different sidebars in the different locations. One widget can be assigned to the Post page sidebar and other to the Blog page sidebar (or any other page, where sidebars are available, like Magazine or Ecommerce). To accomplish that, you need to do two things.
- First things first - go to the widgets. Let's add the widgets to your sidebar on the Post page. There is only one way to do that - you have to add the widgets to Sidebar area (it is because widgets can be assigned only to the pages, not particular posts). So let's add two widgets, for example,
- Now go to the other area, where you want to create the sidebar. I'll use the Blog sidebar. Drag and drop the following widgets:
Divider(Add to the title "Popular Posts") and
MDW Magazine(5th version - it is compatible with the sidebar). Don't forget to assign the widgets to your blog page in the
Page to display widgets
- Now, go to the
Appearance/Customize/Sidebar Managment/Blog sidebar. You will see the following text:
Assign some pages to the sidebar. Select your Blog page. Pages you'll choose will display the widgets which you have assigned to particular page in the
Page to display widgets. That's why you may have different widgets in the sidebar in different blog pages.
Save and Publish.
You may have different sidebars on different blog pages. Therefore, it is possible, that widgets from different sidebars are in the same sidebar area -
Blog sidebararea in this example (you may use different sidebar areas if you're creating them for Ecommerce (in Ecommerce sidebar) or Magazine (in Magazine sidebar) or global sidebar (in Sidebar)). You just have to assign the widgets to the different pages (Same location, but different pages) by selecting particular pages in the
Page to display widgets.
Remember, that every signle page has an option to choose the page layout. Therefore, you may choose if you want to have the Sidebar on a particular page or not. It is placed on the right column, in the